From the Department of Rehabilitation Science - University at Buffalo, State University of New York. Portions of the full document are used here as a helpful tool to find issues in your home.
Laundry Room & Basement
The list identifies all the potential home hazards that may cause a fall.
- Poor or lack of lighting
- Lack of railings
- Steps too steep
- Slippery steps without carpet/luminous light
- Presence of cords across the floor
- Same colored floor at bottom of stairs
Solutions to Problems in the Laundry Room & Basement
1. Lack of or poor lighting
- Increase wattage to allowable limits in lights.
- Add additional overhead or wall lighting.
2. Lack of railings
- Add at least one railing the entire length of the wall, ideally one on each side.
- Eliminate clutter on floors by removing and/or organizing items in areas near the stairs.
4. Steps too steep
- Use railings for stability.
- Walk slowly up and down stairs with lights on.
- Have others carry heavy or large items up or down the stairs.
- Reduce daily use of stairs to reduce risk of falls.
5. Slippery steps without tread or carpet or luminous light
- Add adhesive stair treads or carpet runner.
6. Presence of cords across the floor
- Run your cords behind furnishings. Use extension cords to accomplish this.
- Rearrange items that must be plugged in to areas near an outlet.
7. Same colored floor at bottom of stairs
- Have the bottom of the stairs painted a different color so that you aware of the last step.
Get an in-home safety assessment
Contact us for more information and an estimate to have Aging Graceful at Home perform an in-home safety assessment for you.