From the Department of Rehabilitation Science - University at Buffalo, State University of New York. Portions of the full document are used here as a helpful tool to find issues in your home.
Hallway & Foyer
The list identifies all the potential home hazards that may cause a fall.
- Uneven or slippery flooring
- Cluttered area
- Dark or poor lighting
- Lack of access to ceiling light
Solutions to Problems in the Hallway & Foyer
1. Unsafe flooring (slippery, uneven carpeting, etc.)
- Make sure floor surfaces are dry.
- If you have a carpet, make sure that the patterns are not too busy.
- Have carpet stretched or removed to eliminate wrinkles or bumps.
- Add a carpet runner to slippery hallways or foyers and secure to the floor.
2. Cluttered area
- Eliminate clutter on floors by removing and/or organizing items.
- Example: shoe tray, hooks for umbrella.
- Increase wattage to allowable limits in lights.
- Add additional overhead or wall lighting.
4. Lack of access to ceiling light
- Ask another person to change the light.
- Add removable wall lights to poorly lit areas.
Get an in-home safety assessment
Contact us for more information and an estimate to have Aging Graceful at Home perform an in-home safety assessment for you.